Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes
The ultimate side dish recipe – baked potatoes mashed with cream cheese, cheddar and jalapeno pepper, stuffed into a potato shell and baked to perfection, topped with jalapeno slices. It’s a mashup recipe – jalapeno poppers and twice baked potatoes. Addictive!
Yeah, THESE. Just…DANG. I’m kind of surprised I’ve never made these before. I’ve made twice baked potatoes many times in my life and I’ve always made them the typical way, like making simple mashed potatoes, but as Patty and I were standing in the kitchen, talking all things Madness and our growing hunger, with a couple of large baking potatoes sitting there, the idea just sort of popped in, as most ideas do.
“How about Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes?” Um, YEAH! Sure! Simple as that, really. Everyone who knows me KNOWS of my love for all things jalapeno – #JalapenoObsession – and also my wild love for jalapeno poppers. I mean, just see the Jalapeno Poppers Recipes section of the site, or even the Jalapeno Poppers Cookbook. Making these was a no-brainer and I’m positive they will be made again in this kitchen.
These make for an excellent side dish, though truly, they can be served as the star of the meal. Why not serve them for dinner?
How Do You Make Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes?
First, you need to bake your potatoes. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake the potatoes for 45-60 minutes. The insides should be nice and soft and cooked through. You can test this by inserting a toothpick and testing for softness. It should come out clean. When they are ready, remove them from the oven and let them cool enough to handle.
Next, slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the softened potato and add it to a mixing bowl. Set aside the potato skins.
Add the jalapeno pepper, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, milk and salt to the mixing bowl. Stir until the mixture becomes rich and creamy. Stir in about half of the crumbled bacon. This recipe calls for 3 slices of cooked bacon, but you can easily add more if you REALLY LOVE BACON. YUM.
Scoop the mixture back into the potato skins and sprinkle them with paprika. Bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Remove, let them cool slightly, and serve them up topped with a bit of extra paprika, sour cream, fresh herbs, extra crumbled bacon and jalapeno slices.
BOOM! Done. If you’d like, you can also add a bit more shredded cheddar cheese over the top of your potato mixture before going in for the second bake. It adds some color to the top of the potatoes.
Here is what they look like just before you place them in the oven for the second bake.
They look good enough to eat right there! But don’t do it! You might want to, but the extra bake turns these babies into a wonder food. Yeah, we love these. They’re definitely on Patty’s Favorites List.
I hope you enjoy them!
I claim ownership of this idea! Baked potatoes and mashed potatoes are a match made in heaven in my book. Add in jalapeno popper ingredients? It makes me feel like I married a rock star. Total favorite.
Try Some of My Other Popular Recipes
- Patatas Bravas
- Dirty Rice
- Cajun Red Beans and Rice
- Hoppin’ John
- Cajun Corn Maque Choux
- Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Papas con Chile – Cheese Tex-Mex Mashed Potatoes
- Herb Roast Turkey
- Papas Arrugadas (Wrinkled Potatoes)
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Jalapeno Popper Twice Baked Potatoes
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 large jalapeno pepper diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 slices cooked bacon crumbled (or more, as desired)
- Paprika for sprinkling
- Salt to taste
- FOR SERVING: Sour cream fresh herbs, crumbled bacon and jalapeno slices
- Bake the potatoes at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until the insides have cooked through and softened. Remove from heat and cool.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the softened potato and add it to a mixing bowl. Set aside the potato skins.
- Add the jalapeno pepper, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, milk and salt. Stir until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Stir in about half of the crumbled bacon.
- Scoop the mixture back into the potato skins and sprinkle them with paprika. Bake them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly, and serve topped with a bit of extra paprika, sour cream, fresh herbs, extra crumbled bacon and jalapeno slices.