Grilled Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers
A recipe for grilled stuffed peppers with poblano peppers that are filled with cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, then grilled until nice and melty. So delicious!
Super easy recipe alert, my friends! We’re cooking up some grilled stuffed peppers tonight, and they’re crazy delicious. I made lots of stuffed peppers – see my Stuffed Pepper Recipes collection – and these are some of the simplest.
We’re making Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers on the grill, and I think you’re going to love them.
This has been a very popular recipe on the web site for a long time now. You can prepare roasted stuffed poblano peppers easily on the grill with very few ingredients. Grilled stuffed peppers stand perfectly alone in flavor, but when you pair them with cheese, you’re in for a special meal.
These are great for serving in many different ways – as part of your main course, as the star of your dish, as a cheesy side, or as a component in dishes like grilled burgers or large sandwich toppings.
So many ways to enjoy them.
Let’s talk about how we make grilled cheese-stuffed poblano peppers, shall we?
Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers Ingredients
- Poblano Peppers. For stuffing. We are going to roast them.
- Cheese. Use white cheddar and mozzarella, though any melty cheese will do. Use your favorites.
- Olive Oil. For the grates, if needed.
How to Make Cheesy Grilled Stuffed Peppers – the Recipe Method
Char the Poblano Peppers. Heat grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grates. Grill the poblano peppers about 10-15 minutes, flipping often, until skins are blackened and charred and the peppers are tender.
Set them into a plastic bag and seal, allowing them to steam and cool.
Peel the Poblanos. Once cooled, peel away the charred skins. They should come away easily. You do not have to achieve a perfect peel. Learn more about how to roast poblano peppers or how to roast chili peppers for other roasting options.
Stuff the Peppers. Cut the peppers from stem to tip and remove the stems and seeds. I usually leave the stems on as they look nice for serving. Stuff each poblano pepper with shredded cheese, 1.5 ounces each of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheeses.
Grill the Cheese Stuffed Poblanos. Set back onto the grill over indirect heat and let the peppers cook for 6-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve!
Boom! Done! Your melty grilled cheese stuffed poblano peppers are ready to serve! They look wonderful, don’t they? Super easy to make, very few ingredients. Quite satisfying!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Serving Ideas. You can enjoy these stuffed poblanos on their own, though I love serving them on top of grilled burgers for a flavorful spin on cheeseburgers. I think you’ll love it!
- The Cheeses. You can definitely use other cheeses to your preference, as long as they are melty cheeses. Consider cheddar, Monterrey jack, pepper jack cheese or others.
- Other Variations. Introduce other elements for a fuller meal, like cooked ground beef, turkey, pork or other meat mixture, or use cooked rice. You can also incorporate lots of seasonings, if desired. The recipe also works with other larger peppers, like bell peppers.
- Toppings. I like to sprinkle on fresh chopped herbs and spicy chili flakes. Try them with a dollop of sour cream or squeeze of lime juice, or topped with cheese sprinkles.
- Roasting Alternatives. If you’re not comfortable with grilling the peppers, consider the oven method. Simply preheat your oven to medium-high heat – 400 degrees F is good. Set them poblanos onto a baking sheet, then bake them until the skins char and bubble up, flipping them part way through. Learn more about how to roast poblano peppers or how to roast chili peppers for other roasting options.
That’s it, my friends. I hope you enjoy these grilled cheese stuffed poblano peppers. Super tasty! Nice and cheesy! Let me know if you make them. I’d love to hear how it turned out for you.
Check Out Some My Other Popular Stuffed Peppers Recipes
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Picadillo Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Crock Pot Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Cajun Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Cajun Shrimp Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Stuffed Pepper Recipes
- Learn more about poblano peppers here
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Grilled Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers Recipe
- 4 poblano peppers
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- Oil as needed
- Heat grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grates.
- Grill the poblano peppers about 10-15 minutes, flipping often, until skins are blackened and charred. Set them into a plastic bag and seal, allowing them to steam and cool.
- Once cooled, peel away the charred skins. They should come away easily. You do not have to achieve a perfect peel.
- Slit each poblano pepper from stem to tip and scoop out the innards.
- Stuff each poblano pepper with 1.5 ounces each of cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Set back onto the grill over indirect heat and cook about 6-8 minutes, or until cheese is nice and melted.