Spicy Pork Noodle Bowl
These noodle bowls are made with rice noodles, tossed with a quick and flavorful Chinese stir-fry sauce, then topped with pulled pork and jalapeno peppers. Get the recipe below.
I’ve been cooking with chili peppers a LONG time now and my wheel house typically falls into a few dominant categories of cooking – Mexican, Tex-Mex, Cajun, American, Italian. I dabble in other realms, but lately I’ve been slowly working my way into Asian territory.
That’s a BIG-BIG territory. There is an entire other side of the world filled with rich and diverse cuisines, and I’m eager to learn more about them. My own developing interest stems not only from the unique flavors of the food, but started as Patty and I explored quick meal options. As you know, we both work full time running our web business, plus ME cranking out fiction and screenplays, not to mention our AWESOME food blog that we LOVE!! But when you’re that busy, you need quick and easy recipes.
I never realized how quick and easy some Asian recipes can be to prepare. Recently I’ve fallen in love with the simple Chinese stir fry sauce. Talk about easy. And FAST.
There is no actual cooking required for this sauce. Just a bit of whisking and it’s done. The meal is complete in the time it takes to boil some noodles.
I took a sushi class very recently, and we made pot stickers and a dipping sauce that closely resembled this stir fry sauce in flavor, with rice vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, LOTS of minced garlic. YUM. I’m seriously into this sauce lately. I hope I don’t annoy Patty by making it too much.
I posted another recipe using this type of sauce recently – Sweet and Spicy Asian Noodle Bowl – SO GOOD, with shrimp, and while it is similar to this dish, the flavors are so different. Here, I’ve included some pork that I had smoked a couple weeks ago and froze. We like to have some smoked meats in the freezer for days like these, something quick to cook with, something extremely tasty that satisfies.
Don’t forget the jalapeno peppers. Or the lime. You want that extra fresh pop of acid at the end. Set the timer. This one is super quick! Enjoy!
Spicy Pork Noodle Bowl - Recipe
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice + more for serving
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro + more for serving
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces rice noodles sub in spaghetti noodles if you can't find rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon spicy chili oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced
- 1 cups cooked pulled pork
- Chopped green onion for serving
- Whisk the first 7 ingredients together in a mixing bowl and set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large pot of water to boil, then remove from heat. Add rice noodles and let sit for 10 minutes to soften.
- While noodles are cooking, heat a wok to medium heat and add chili oil.
- Add jalapeno peppers and cook about 4-5 minutes to soften.
- Add pulled pork and stir until warmed.
- Drain noodles and add them to the wok with your reserved sauce. Toss and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Serve into 2 bowls and top with cilantro, green onion and a few more squeezes of lime juice.