Crab Stuffed Peppers with Lemon-Basil Butter
A recipe for sweet chili peppers stuffed with succulent crab meat, goat cheese and Parmesan, then baked or grilled to perfection.
Patty and I are still enjoying the crab we caught in the Chesapeake Bay with this recipe for sweet peppers stuffed with succulent crab meat, goat cheese and Parmesan, then baked to perfection. So glad we caught so much crab!
Our Stuffed Chili Pepper Recipes collection is growing on the web site. I love it. I just can’t get enough of them. I probably mention every single time I post a stuffed pepper recipe how PERFECT chili peppers are for stuffing.
They’re the ideal vessels because you can so easily slice off the top or down the center, scoop out the insides, and stuff them with all manner of deliciousness.
I just happened to find these gorgeous little sweet peppers at the grocery store down the road and they leapt straight off the cart and into my basket. I swear, they must have heard of all the crab meat we had from our trip to the Chesapeake Bay.
Patty and I caught so much crab! Talk about a great trip. And now, we get to enjoy crab stuffed into peppers. Talk about bonus!
They’re easy to make, and you can prepare them ahead of time for a gathering or to save for a late dinner. Or, make the stuffing ahead of time and cover it in the fridge until you’re ready to stuff the peppers. Save a bit of time.
Let’s Talk About How We Make These Crab Stuffed Peppers with Lemon-Basil Butter
For the stuffing, you’re mixing the crab with cooked onion, garlic and serrano peppers for a bit of flavor and spicy heat.
If you prefer milder heat levels, swap the serranos for jalapeno peppers, or even a sweet pepper for zero heat. It will still taste delicious, just without the spice that I do so love. Add in a generous amount of goat and Parmesan cheeses, then panko breadcrumbs, seasonings and a bit of fresh basil.
I used Old Bay for this recipe, as it pairs so well with seafood, particularly crab.
Stuff it all into your peppers and either bake or grill them until the peppers are softened and the stuffing nicely browns a bit. Here’s what they look like when they are newly stuffed.
Bake 20-25 minutes and there you go.
Serve these as your main dish or perhaps pair them with a juicy grilled steak. Steak and seafood! Don’t forget the butter drizzle. I felt these needed just a TAD bit of moisture and didn’t want to go overboard with making an involved sauce.
Keep it simple by melting a bit of butter with fresh basil and swirling in fresh lemon juice. It’s an excellent citrus pop, and lemon and seafood are best friends.
Knocked it out the park! Of course with crab stuffed peppers, you expect the meal is going to be phenomenal, but the lemon-butter truly emphasizes the flavor of the delicate crab and the sweet peppers are the perfect vehicle.
Try These Other Popular Stuffed Pepper Recipes
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers – Mexican Style
- Cajun Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Cajun Shrimp Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Caribbean Coconut Rice and Shrimp Stuffed Peppers
- Spicy Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
- You also might like this recipe – Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Chicken and Cheese
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Crab Stuffed Peppers with Lemon-Basil Butter - Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 serrano peppers sub in jalapenos for less heat
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 8 ounces crab meat shredded
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Panko
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 large sweet peppers
- ½ cup fresh chopped basil divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Juice from half a lemon
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add serranos and onion and cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook another minute, until fragrant. Cool and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add crab meat, cheeses, Panko, Old Bay, salt, and about half of the fresh basil. Stir.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice each sweet pepper in half lengthwise and scoop out the innards.
- Stuff each pepper with the crab mixture and sprinkle with dried basil.
- Set onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- While stuffed peppers are baking, add butter, lemon juice and remaining basil to a small pot. Heat on low until butter melts. Swirl.
- Drizzle the Lemon-Basil Butter over the stuffed peppers and serve.