4-Ingredient Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce
A recipe for the easiest roasted poblano cream sauce, using only 4 ingredients, with big roasted poblano flavor. Perfect for tacos or any Mexican dish, and even as a dip.
I grew a number of poblano peppers in my garden this year and WOW did those plants explode. The most productive was a Tiburon Hybrid that offers greater yields and larger poblanos.
It did not disappoint!
When you have such a tremendous yield of poblano peppers coming out of your garden, count yourself lucky because poblanos are wonderful to cook with and they offer a flavor unlike any other pepper. To me, poblano peppers are earthier and they lend themselves to all sorts of recipes and cooking methods.
This recipe in particular is a simple one, using only 4 ingredients, but because we’re cooking with poblano peppers, it is MASSIVE on the flavor scale. We’re talking Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce, and it’s super creamy and super tasty.
Just look at it. SO GOOD, right? I want to dive right in there!
Let’s talk about how we make the recipe, shall we?
How to Make Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce – the Recipe Method
First, roast your awesome poblano peppers over your stove top flame until, rotating often, until the skins char and blister up, about 10 minutes.
Alternatively, you can bake them in the oven until the skins blacken and blister, about 15 minutes. See the information below on how to roast poblano peppers.
Cool and set the peppers into a plastic bag to steam. This will help loosen the skins. Most times I can just peel the skin right off without steaming.
Next, toss the roasted peppers into a food processor with some garlic cloves, Mexican crema or sour cream, and a bit of salt. Process the mix until nice and smooth.
Super easy, right? And SUPER flavorful.
Scoop it into a bowl and use it as needed. It makes about a cup or so. You can keep it in the fridge in a sealed container for about a week or so.
This recipe is outstanding on its own, but consider it a base recipe. You can add in other ingredients as desired. Consider adding cilantro for an herbal flair. Try roasting the garlic along with the poblanos.
Add chili powders and/or spicy chili flakes for flavor and heat variations.
Add in some fresh ripe avocado for a variation on guacamole. So delicious!
Try it with other peppers, either in addition to, or replacing the poblano peppers. It would be super interesting with ghost peppers! Hot! Spicy!
This roasted poblano cream sauce goes great alongside tacos or burritos, of course, but consider it for spooning over grilled meats, like chicken or pork.
Drizzle it over pulled pork sandwiches or over a steak.
Consider it as a replacement for guacamole! Use it anywhere you’d use your favorite guacamole recipe. It’s so good.
Try Some of My Other Popular Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Picadillo
- Mexican Rice with Chorizo and Black Beans
- Classic Mexican Chicken Posole
- Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
- Chicken Enchiladas Verdes with Cheese
- Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
Try Some of My Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipes
- Picadillo (Beef) Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Classic Chiles Rellenos
- Cajun Shrimp Stuffed Poblano Peppers
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H
4-Ingredient Roasted Poblano Cream Sauce - Recipe
- 1 pound poblano peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Slice the poblano peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides. Remove the stems. Set them onto a baking sheet and bake them at 350 degrees 20-30 minutes, or until the skins char and bubble. You can also broil them about 12-15 minutes to the same effect.
- Remove from heat and place them into a paper bag or plastic baggie. The heat will steam them and loosen the skins.
- Peel away the skins and place the roasted peppers into a food processor with the remaining ingredients.
- Process until nice and smooth.
- Adjust for salt and serve as desired.