This pulled pork Mexican Torta sandwich recipe is loaded with tender pulled pork, refried beans, homemade guacamole and Mexican crema.
Not too long ago I made a batch of Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas (Crispy Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos) and they were DELISH. The pork cooked LOW and SLOW in the crock pot for hours and after we enjoyed them, there were plenty of leftovers. I froze the pulled pork in small batches to enjoy later.
This is a perfect example of how you enjoy it later! We're talking Pulled Pork Mexican Tortas. A torta is a Mexican sandwich and they are sort of an obsession around here.
Patty and I LOVE them. We have many different Mexican restaurants available to us and we enjoy most of them. It's fun to experience how different each of their tortas taste, despite the fact that they are basically the same recipe.
You have pulled pork, refried beans, crema, guacamole and Mexican fixin's, like tomato, peppers, cilantro, hot sauce, and more.
The differences come down to the seasonings and ratios of ingredients.
Of course every cook will vary according to their own personal tastes, and you should, too. So, here is what I like to do. The secret, IMO, lies in how you prepare your pulled pork after it is cooked.
You can prepare it however you'd like, whether you are smoking it, roasting it, slow cooking it, but once it is done, the seasoning does not stop there.
Let's talk about how to make this Pulled Pork Mexican Torta Sandwich.
Pulled Pork Mexican Torta Sandwich Ingredients
- Prepared Pulled Pork. See the Recipe Notes section below.
- Taco Seasonings. Use your favorite brand, or use my homemade taco seasoning blend.
- Picante Sauce. Try my homemade picante sauce, or use salsa roja.
- Refried Beans. Use canned, or try this easy refried beans recipe.
- Mexican Crema. Sour cream is OK, too.
- Guacamole. Try my Perfect homemade guacamole recipe. So good!
- Torta Buns (Bolillo Rolls). Or similar buns if you can't find them
- For Serving/Topping. Sliced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce for serving.
How to Make Pulled Pork Mexican Torta Sandwich - the Recipe Method
Crisp the Pulled Pork. Heat a small pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add your prepared pork and give it a sear.
Add the Seasonings. Add about a quarter cup of water along with the taco seasonings and stir. Reduce heat to simmer and allow the liquid to reduce.
Add Salsa. Add a couple tablespoons of picante or red salsa to the pork and stir. Cook until nicely heated.
Heat Refried Beans. Add the refried beans to a small pot along with a couple more tablespoons of the picante/salsa. Heat and stir to combine.
Build the Mexican Torta. Construct your tortillas by smearing refried beans on the bottom bun, then top with pulled pork. Top with tomatoes and cilantro.
Mexican Crema and Guacamole. Smear crema over the top bun and add a nice dollop of homemade guacamole over the top.
Top if Off and Serve. Top the torta, careful not to spill out the awesome stuff, and serve with extra hot sauce, lime, hot sauce and extra cilantro.
Don't forget the guacamole!
Try this Extra Creamy Roasted Jalapeno Guacamole Recipe. Total fave.
Sorry, these are a bit messy. I just can't resist heaping on the ingredients. I hope you enjoy them!
Recipe Tips & Notes
You can find bolillo rolls in your local Mexican grocery store, or use other soft rolls, like telera rolls, ciabatta buns, French bread or Cuban bread.
For the Pulled Pork, use your favorite recipe, or try any of these:
- Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork (Done in No Time!)
Try Some of My Other Popular Sandwich Recipes
- Cochinita Pibil
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Smoked Gouda and Habanero Hot Sauce
- The Ultimate Leftover Pot Roast Sandwich
- Prime Rib Sandwich with Roasted Poblanos and Garlic Mayo
- Mexi Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Mexican Style Chicken Torta
- Ancho BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich on Texas Toast
- Or try this Pernil (Puerto Rican Roast Pork)
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Pulled Pork Mexican Torta Sandwich Recipe
- 6 ounces prepared pulled pork
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons or more of your favorite Taco seasoning
- Picante sauce or red salsa
- 4-6 ounces refried beans
- Mexican crema - sour cream is OK, too
- Perfect homemade guacamole
- 2 torta buns (bolillo rolls) lightly toasted - or similar buns if you can't find them
- Sliced tomatoes chopped cilantro, lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce for serving
- Heat a small pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add your prepared pork and give it a sear.
- Add about a quarter cup of water along with the taco seasonings and stir. Reduce heat to simmer and allow the liquid to reduce.
- Add a couple tablespoons of picante or red salsa to the pork and stir. Cook until nicely heated.
- Add the refried beans to a small pot along with a couple more tablespoons of the picante/salsa. Heat and stir to combine.
- Construct your tortillas by smearing refried beans on the bottom bun, then top with pulled pork. Top with tomatoes and cilantro.
- Smear crema over the top bun and add a nice dollop of homemade guacamole over the top.
- Top the torta, careful not to spill out the awesome stuff, and serve with extra hot sauce, lime, hot sauce and extra cilantro.
Lee Rappaport says
Can you supply links to purchase new varieties of chile peppers? Thanks for all your hard work.
REPLY: Lee, see the Resources links in the top navigation. -- Mike from Chili Pepper Madness.