This easy homemade sugar free jam recipe is made with mildly spicy aji peppers, fresh crushed kiwi, and lime juice. Perfect as a spread or glaze.
We're in a major winding down time for our garden in this part of the world, so lately we've been scrambling to preserve a lot of our peppers.
We're also making jams. Jams? Absolutely.
Jellies and jams are a smart way to incorporate a number of your chili peppers into a single preserving session, and what you wind up with is something super crazy delicious that you can use all through the winter. This particular recipe calls for a cup of minced peppers and it makes two half pint jars.
That's quite a lot of peppers! It's OK, though, because we have so many, we barely know what to do with them all. Well, maybe we do, but still!
This is a "no sugar" or "sugar free" (aside from the fruit, of course) jam, though you can include a bit of sugar if you'd like. It isn't necessary.
The kiwi is sweet enough on its own, and sometimes you don't want all that sugar in your diet. You'll need to use a no-sugar or low-sugar pectin product. Here is the one I used: Ball Real FruitTM Low or No-Sugar-Needed Pectin - Flex Batch 4.7 oz.
It works great for me. No fail jam.
Let's talk about how we make the recipe, shall we?
Sweet Pepper Jam Ingredients
- Sweet Peppers. I used 1 cup minced aji peppers – I used aji pineapples and aji fantasy peppers but you can use any pepper realistically. Ajis are nice and sweet, but can also be quite spicy. Choose accordingly.
- Kiwi. I used 1 cup crushed kiwi, though you can use other fruits to your preference.
- Lime Juice. I use 1/3 cup lime juice for flavoring and preserving.
- Pectin. 1-1/2 tablespoon no-sugar pectin. Important to use no-sugar pectin.
How to Make No Sugar Sweet Pepper Jam - the Recipe Method
Cook Down the Ingredients. Add the peppers, kiwi and lime juice to a large sauce pan. Stir in the pectin and bring the mixture to a strong boil, stirring constantly for about a minute.
Skim the Foam. Remove from heat and skim any foam that might rise to the top.
Cool and Jar. Cool slightly and pour into 2 8-ounce jars.
Refrigerate and Wait. Cover and refrigerate to solidify!
Boom! Done! Your sugar free jam is ready to go, still with loads of flavor from the mix of kiwi, lime and aji peppers. I just love this recipe.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- The Kiwi. Be sure to crush the kiwi down so it incorporates thoroughly into the jam mixture, though I kept a few chunks that floated up to the top. I love how it looks.
- The Sweet Peppers. I used the gorgeous yellow aji pineapple and aji fantasy peppers I grew in the garden this year, but you can use any variety of chili peppers, realistically. You just need a cup minced. I would choose by color and preferred heat level.
- Give as a Gift. This whole jar is a beautiful thing. You can always give some away as gifts for the jam lovers in your life. Just be careful. Making jam is addictive, almost as addictive as eating jam. And check out those seeds!
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy the sweet pepper jam. Most of my jams use some sugar, but many people have asked for a no-sugar jam recipe that is still a touch sweet and a little spicy, so here you go. This is a great jam recipe. I love it.
Storage & Leftovers
Storing your Sweet Pepper Jam in an airtight container in the fridge may allow to keep it for up to 3-4 weeks. To maximize the storage life, make sure to refrigerate it promptly.
This is one of my new favorite jams. I always love kiwi ANYTHING. It is plenty sweet enough without the sugar, and the aji peppers have a nice, slowly rising level of heat. Puts a smile on my face!
Here is a link to the jam jars that I personally use and prefer. Highly recommended. Affiliate link - FYI: Ball Mason 8oz Quilted Jelly Jars with Lids and Bands, Set of 12
Try Some of My Other Popular Jelly and Jam Recipes
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Sweet Pepper Jam Recipe (Sugar Free Jam Recipe)
- 1 cup minced aji peppers – I used aji pineapples and aji fantasy peppers but you can use any pepper realistically.
- 1 cup crushed kiwi
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoon no-sugar pectin
- Add the peppers, kiwi and lime juice to a large sauce pan. Stir in the pectin and bring the mixture to a strong boil, stirring constantly for about a minute.
- Remove from heat and skim any foam that might rise to the top.
- Cool slightly and pour into 2 8-ounce jars.
- Cover and refrigerate to solidify!