Cajun Pasta with Shrimp and Smoked Sausage
Love jambalaya? This recipe brings all of your favorite jambalaya flavors and transforms them into a tasty pasta dish.
Patty and I both go a little crazy over Cajun flavors. Such powerful food when it comes to flavor. The seasonings blends are potent and can truly liven up any type of a dish. After making the Creamy Taco Style Pasta recently, and seriously LOVING it, I thought — How might that concept work with Cajun flavors?
The answer is DANG GREAT.
If you enjoy jambalaya, you’ll enjoy this recipe that brings all of those flavors and tosses them up into a big bowl of pasta.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is FAST.
Yep. Quick and Easy, ideal for lunch or dinner in a hurry. Of course you can leave the sauce to cook and simmer awhile to let the ingredients mingle and develop with even MORE flavor, but this hit that sweet spot I was looking for without any additional time.
It has a nice level of spice from my Homemade Cajun Seasoning blend as well.
Vary up the type of pasta with your favorite kind. I used fettuccine noodles, but this works with pretty much anything. It’s important to incorporate both shrimp and sausage to truly get the flavors we’re going for, but maybe some crawfish would be nice as well, or even a seafood version. Hmmm.
The old wheels are turning upstairs now! Variations abound.
We loved it! I hope you do, too.
And if you love jambalaya, try our Seriously Awesome Jambalaya Recipe.
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Cajun Pasta with Shrimp and Smoked Sausage - Recipe
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 small green pepper chopped (or use half a large one)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 4 ounces smoked andouille sausage sliced
- ½ pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons sour cream or crema
- 4 ounces fettucine pasta
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Heat a large pan to medium heat. Add onion and peppers with olive oil and cook about 6-7 minutes to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and sausage and cook another couple minutes.
- Add shrimp and Cajun seasonings and stir. Cook about 3-4 minutes, or until shrimp cook through.
- Add tomato sauce and stir to incorporate. Reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Get your pasta cooking in a large pot of salted water. It should only take 10 minutes to cook.
- Remove the large pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream or crema.
- Drain pasta and stir it into the sauce with the shrimp and smoked sausage.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.