Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
A light but creamy Cajun-seasoned pasta made with seared chicken breast, tomato paste and light cream cheese, with plenty of vegetables and flavor. Done in a half hour or less.
Quick and easy meal alert, my friends! We’re serving up a creamy fettucine dish with a Cajun-seasoned cream sauce that is immensely satisfying but falls on the lighter side.
I mean, it’s pasta so I won’t claim that it is uber low-calorie, but there are ways to make your pasta nice and CREAMY without resorting to lots of butter and heavy cream, which are quite delicious, YES!
But a great AND flavorful way to achieve a creamy tomato-based pasta sauce is this: Cream Cheese and a bit of Crema.
Once you cook down your initial vegetables with the chicken, the sauce is simple – Chicken Stock with Tomato Paste, then swirl in Light Cream Cheese and a bit of Crema or Light Sour Cream. Then your noodles.
Boom! Done! Easy!
Light cream cheese has only nearly half the calories of regular cream cheese, so you’re saving a lot of calories there. Same with light sour cream.
Crema is typically lower in calories than your typical sour cream, and has better flavor, in my opinion. Just watch out for light versions with too much added sugar. The big flavor secret here, aside from the awesome peppers we’re cooking with, is the Cajun Seasoning blend you’re using.
You can find any of your favorite Cajun seasonings blends at your grocer, or order from online. Or make your own. I do all the time and hope to get my Homemade Cajun Seasoning Blend online!
One of my favorites, though, is Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning (affiliate link, FYI). Try their original blend or the HOT blend, which is the one I typically use.
Nice kick! I use this stuff all the time.
Get that pasta cooking!
Try Some of These Other Popular Pasta Dishes
- Cajun Shrimp Pasta with Red Sauce
- Pasta Puttanesca with Shrimp
- Mike’s Mad Dog Mostaccioli
- Creamy Taco Style Pasta
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock + more as needed
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream or crema
- 8-10 ounces prepared pasta noodles – I used fettucine
- Sliced lemon and chopped parsley for serving
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add chicken, onion, peppers and celery. Cook about 7-8 minutes, until the vegetables are softened and the chicken is mostly cooked through.
- Add garlic and stir. Cook about a minute.
- Add tomato paste, stock, Cajun seasoning and a bit of salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Swirl in cream cheese and sour cream. Stir to incorporate.
- Add cooked noodles and stir.
- Serve into bowls and top with lemon and parsley. Enjoy!