Easy Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers is an easy weeknight dinner that features Italian sausage, tomato sauce, parmesan cheese and a medley of seasonings all stuffed into perfectly baked peppers! This is a filling family favorite dinner that's incredibly easy to make in no time.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Chili peppers are the perfect vessels for all sorts of stuffing. I mean, look at them. They're hollow, right? You slice off the top and peer down into that lonely emptiness and think, this poor little thing needs some company. Or you slice them in half right down the center and you're left with perfectly formed bowls! All you need to do is get creative.
In this case, creative doesn't have to mean complicated. In fact, it is rather easy. I went with an Italian-style stuffed bell pepper recipe this time, working with some gorgeous red and yellow bells. Green peppers would work just as well here, though I was going for some color.
Ingredients in Italian Stuffed Peppers
- Bell peppers
- Italian sausage
- Serrano pepper
- Jalapeño pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley and chili pepper flakes (for garnish)
How to Make Easy Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers
Prep your ingredients. Chop up some onion, peppers and garlic.
Cook the sausage. Cook them down in a pan with olive oil about 5 minutes, then add the Italian sausage down, breaking it up with a spoon, another 5 minutes or so, until it is cooked through.
Make it saucy! Add in the tomato sauce, basil and seasonings and stir it up to get it all incorporated. Reduce the heat and let it simmer about 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
Make it cheesy! Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Prep the peppers. Slice the bell pepper in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides. Blanch the pepper halves in boiling water for 2-3 minutes to soften them up a bit.
Stuff the peppers. Set the peppers into a baking dish and stuff them with your Italian sausage mixture.
Bake the peppers. Pour a bit of water into the pan to about 1 inch in height and bake the peppers for 30 minutes at 350°F, or until the peppers are softened up and cooked through to your liking.
Boom! Done! Your Italian sausage stuffed peppers are ready to go! Let's dig in! I think I could eat 3 of these.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Turn up the heat! If you're looking for a HOTTER version of this recipe, incorporate a habanero pepper or 2, or something hotter, like a ghost pepper or scorpion pepper. Go for the heat!
- Blanch the peppers. You CAN skip this step if you'd like, but I find that blanching the thicker-walled bell peppers makes for a softer finished stuffed pepper.
- Add more cheese. I used a cup of parmesan for my sausage mixture, but you can always measure with your heart if you'd like.
Once cooled to room temp, you can store your stuffed Italian peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2-3 days. Feel free to reheat them in the microwave in 30 second intervals until warmed through.
Or, for even better reheated results, pop them in the air fryer for just a few minutes to help maintain their original consistency.
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Stuffed Peppers Recipes
Got any questions? Ask away! I'm happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Easy Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 large bell peppers – I used a red and an orange bell
- 12 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 serrano pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped (a couple tablespoons dried basil is fine)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley and chili pepper flakes for garnish
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add a bit of olive oil. Add the onion and peppers and cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and stir. Cook another minute.
- Add the Italian sausage and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook it down, stirring a bit, about 5 minutes, or until it is cooked through.
- Add the paprika, tomato sauce, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or longer.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Slice the bell peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and boil the halved peppers about 5 minutes to soften.
- Stuff each pepper with your sausage-cheese mixture and set them into a baking dish.
- Add about a half inch of water to the baking dish and bake at 350 F. for about 30 minutes, or until the peppers are softened and the stuffing mixture is nicely heated. You can leave it in longer if needed for even softer peppers.
- Remove from heat and garnish with parsley and chili pepper flakes.
Recipe originally published on 6/5/2015. UPDATED 6/7/2018.