Stuffed peppers! Did you know that we have a slight obsession with stuffed chili peppers? Considering that I wrote an entire cookbook dedicated to them, I'm sure it will come as no surprise, but it has to be said - the stuffed chili pepper is a cause for celebration. This recipe uses the sweet bell pepper. We were at the local grocery store, working our way through the produce section, and these peppers leaped into the cart. Look at the colors. The brightness, the vivid orange and yellow, the plumpness of the skins. They were begging to be stuffed. Since the holidays are arriving and we both need to hold back on the calorie intake in preparation for all the upcoming celebration eating, we opted for a lighter fare recipe this time.
This recipe incorporates a simple ground turkey mixture that has been seasoned with plenty of taco seasoning. We topped them with a bit of shredded white cheddar cheese, but not too much, then baked them to awesome perfection. This is what I also call a "hot sauce" recipe. Bust out your favorite hot sauce for this one and dash it over the top. You can make your own - Hot Sauce Recipes, anyone? - or pick up one of the excellent artisan hot sauces out there on the market. Any suggestions? What is your favorite hot sauce? Here is the recipe. Happy eating.
Taco Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 Bell peppers (I used one orange and one yellow)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Serrano chili pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I used my own blend!)
- 1 cup water
- Juice from half a lime
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce (use your favorite)
- 3 ounces grated white cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Limes for serving
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add oil.
- Add onion and Serrano pepper and cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring here and there.
- Add ground turkey and cook about 8-10 minutes, breaking it apart as you go, until turkey is cooked through.
- Add taco seasoning and stir. Cook about 30 seconds or so.
- Add water and bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes, for flavors to develop and water to reduce.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop off the tops of the peppers and core them out. Reserve the tops.
- Stuff each pepper with 6 ounces taco-seasoned turkey meat and top with the pepper tops. Sprinkle on some lime juice.
- Bake in a slightly oiled baking pan for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set the pepper tops aside. Top the stuffed peppers with cheese and hot sauce.
- Bake another 5 minutes or so until cheese is melted.
- Remove and cool slightly. Squeeze on some more lime juice.
- Top with cilantro and serve with extra hot sauce!