Spicy Chorizo Tacos
This is my favorite chorizo tacos recipe with spicy Mexican chorizo served over warmed corn tortillas with red onion, fresh cilantro, sliced peppers and creamy chipotle sauce.
We’re making Spicy Chorizo Tacos in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen tonight, my friends. Would you care for a taco?
Tacos are by far one my favorite comfort foods, easy to make, always satisfying, and easy to spice them up just the way we like them. Chorizo is a great alternative to ground beef or turkey for the spicy food lover because chorizo is already so highly seasoned.
I’m using my homemade chorizo recipe for these tacos, but you can use your favorite brand from your grocery store or Mexican grocer. You can usually find at least one brand available in either ground pork or beef.
You can also experiment and have fun with your favorite toppings for this recipe. I like to keep it simple sometimes with chopped peppers, onion, cilantro, some hot sauce, but there are so many options. Use any and all of your favorites.
Let’s talk about how we make chorizo tacos, shall we?
Chorizo Tacos Ingredients
- Vegetable Oil. For cooking.
- Onion. I’m using white onion, but yellow or sweet are great, too.
- Peppers. I love jalapeno peppers, but serranos are great for extra spicy. Consider even hotter peppers, or use bell peppers for a milder heat.
- Mexican Chorizo. I am using my own homemade Mexican chorizo, though you can use your favorite store bought brand. Use beef or pork. I prefer spicy over mild.
- Corn Tortillas. Try these homemade corn tortillas, or use your favorite brand.
- For Serving/Toppings. Sliced jalapenos, chopped onion, cilantro, hot sauce, chipotle sauce or chipotle aioli.
How to Make Chorizo Tacos – the Recipe Method
Cook the Onions and Peppers. Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add the white onion and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, until they start to soften.
Cook the Chorizo to Your Liking. Add the chorizo and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 10 minutes, until it cooks through. If you prefer crispy chorizo, continue to cook another 4-5 minutes, until the edges crisp up. Remove from heat.
Top and Enjoy Your Tacos! Serve the spicy chorizo mixture over warmed tortillas and top with your favorite toppings.
Boom! Done! Your chorizo tacos are ready to enjoy. They look so good, don’t they? I can never get enough tacos. Or chorizo! One of my favorites for sure.
Chorizo Tacos Toppings Ideas
These are some of my favorites!
- Diced Avocado
- Creamy Guacamole
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Chiles Toreados
- Sliced Radish
- Salsa Roja
- Salsa Verde
- Mexican Crema
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Shredded Cheese
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- So many options. Use your favorites!
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Recipe Variation. Try adding a 1-2 chipotles in adobo to the pan when you cook the chorizo for a tangy, smoky flavor addition.
- Warming the Tortillas. I usually warm the tortillas in a large skillet or quickly over an open flame. Microwave warming doesn’t work well for corn tortillas, in my experience.
That’s it, my friends. I hope you enjoy my chorizo tacos recipe. Let me know if you make it. I’d love to hear how it turned out for you. Keep it spicy!
Try Some of My Other Popular Taco Recipes
- Chorizo con Huevos
- Rajas Poblanas
- Turkey Tacos (done right!)
- Tacos al Pastor
- Fish Tacos
- See all of my Tacos Recipes
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Chorizo Tacos Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 12 ounces Homemade Mexican Chorizo or use your favorite store bought brand
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- For Serving/Toppings. Sliced jalapenos, chopped red onion, fresh chopped cilantro, hot sauce, chipotle sauce or chipotle aioli.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the white onion and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add the chorizo and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 10 minutes, until it cooks through. If you prefer crispy chorizo, continue to cook another 4-5 minutes, until the edges crisp up. Remove from heat.
- Serve the spicy chorizo mixture over warmed tortillas and top with your favorite toppings.