Spicy Fry Sauce Recipe
This spicy fry sauce recipe is so easy to make, the perfect dipper for french fries, onion rings, just about anything fried. Creamy and delicious!
Everyone is making “Fry Sauce” lately. I’m sure you’ve had it before, that “secret sauce” condiment you get a burger joints and hot dog palaces, typically a tablespoon or 2 of pink tinged sauce served up in a plastic cup for dipping your French Fries or slathering over your burger bun.
It’s great stuff, tangy, creamy, hitting the taste buds in all the right places.
It’s been around forever, as far as I can tell, said to be invented by a burger chain in Utah in the 40’s, though I imagine it being spontaneously created a thousand times over by inventive cooks looking for something different due to it’s simplicity.
What is Fry Sauce?
At it’s core, Fry Sauce is a combination of ketchup and mayonnaise. From there, recipes vary, and truly, there is an infinity of variations using anything from different types of vinegars, relishes, hot sauce, spices and other seasonings. It’s a sauce with a lot of versatility and huge potential for the creative sauce maker.
What I have yet to find, however, is a version spicy enough for my palate, and yours. Until NOW.
I have made for us all a version that will make your taste buds stand at attention, will cause your tongue to tingle, and just may turn out to be your new go-to burger or fry sauce recipe.
It is SUPER simple, my friends, comprised of only 5 primary ingredients, not counting the salt and pepper. Check these out.
Fry Sauce Ingredients
- Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Chili Powder. Or use a spicier chili powder, like ghost powder.
- Salt and Pepper.
How to Make Fry Sauce – the Recipe Method
Gather and Process the Ingredients. Put all the ingredients in a blender process it until smooth, or, you can whisk them together in a small bowl for a chunkier fry sauce. That’s it. You can have this sauce on your table in 5 minutes or less, ready to add some zip and tang to your sandwich or seasoned steak fries, or whatever else you desire.
Boom! Done! Super easy to make, isn’t it? Ridiculously easy. It’s essentially a sauce of mixed condiments. The perfect dipping sauce for french fries and so much more!
You can chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the flavors mingle, but it’s good to use right away. Yes!
I’m so happy that, finally, we have a spicy fry sauce! This is great stuff, my friends! I hope you enjoy it.
Don’t forget to check out the video recipe below.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- The Ingredients. We have ketchup and mayo, apple cider vinegar, hot giardiniera, and a spicy chili powder. I used a ghost pepper powder I made from dehydrating and grinding ghost peppers in my dehydrator, but you can easily find some online.
- Heat Factor. If you feel ghost peppers might be too spicy for you, you can easily substitute it for a milder powder, like cayenne (which has a nice kick) or even smoked paprika, or perhaps a blend.
- Additional Ingredients. It’s very easy to adjust this fry sauce recipe to make it your own by editing or adding other ingredients. Other recipes for fry sauce that I have seen used in fry sauce are pickle brine or pickle juice, onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and others.
You can also find hot giardiniera at your local grocer, but if you’d like to try your hand at making your own, check out these recipes – Homemade Spicy Giardiniera and Homemade Chicago-Style Giardiniera – both are GREAT.
I love the tang in this sauce that most regular condiments don’t have. It’s a great pairing for any type of French Fry any day of the week!
Fry Sauce Serving Ideas
- Baked Cajun Fries
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Homemade Air Fryer Cajun Curly French Fries
- Chicken Taquitos
- Patatas Bravas
- Papas Arrugadas (Wrinkled Potatoes)
- Carne Asada Fries
You certainly don’t have to limit your fry sauce to french fries! You can use it in so many ways, as a dipper or a sandwich spread. Try it on these recipes – Smashburgers, Grilled Steakhouse BBQ Burgers, Chicago-Style Hot Dogs. Yum!
Try Some of My Other Popular Condiment Recipes
- Sriracha Aioli
- How to Make Homemade Mustard
- Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
- Chipotle Sauce
- Chipotle Aioli
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Homemade Sriracha
- Aji Amarillo Sauce
- Creamy Sriracha Mayo
- Cajun Remoulade Sauce
- Creamy Fish Taco Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Bang Bang Sauce
- Comeback Sauce
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Spicy Fry Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup hot giardiniera
- 1 teaspoon chili powder I used ghost powder, but go with your preferred heat level
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Adjust for salt and pepper. Enjoy!