Creamy Fish Taco Sauce
This creamy fish taco sauce recipe brings just the right amount of zing to your fish tacos, made with mayo, crema, hot sauce, lime juice and more.
Who’s in the mood for fish tacos? I am! I’ve been making a lot of fish tacos lately, all different types, using different fish, mostly white fish – mahi mahi, cod, halibut – though I love a good salmon fish taco as well. And don’t forget shrimp tacos! Shrimp make great tacos, too.
I also enjoy cooking the fish in different ways. Think grilled fish tacos, but also sauteed or battered and fried. Fish tacos are SO GOOD when they’re crispy and fried with a coating of seasoned beer batter.
No matter how you’re making your fish tacos or what fish tacos recipe you’re using, it is extremely important to make yourself a good fish taco sauce. The sauce is key! There are many different types of sauce you can either buy or make, but I love a good creamy white sauce for most of my fish tacos.
Lucky for us it is incredibly easy to make, and it only requires ingredients that are readily available.
Let’s talk about how we make it, shall we?
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup Mexican crema (or use sour cream or Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (about ½ a small lime)
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce (sriracha is great here)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1-2 fresh cloves, minced)
- Pinch of salt
How to Make This Creamy Fish Taco Sauce Recipe
First, whisk together all of the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
Make sure everything is nicely incorporated, like so.
Transfer the fish taco sauce to a small container or squeeze bottle and chill slightly in the refrigerator to let the flavors mingle.
When your tacos are ready, spoon or squeeze some over your tacos and enjoy!
Simple enough, right? As I said, it’s crazy easy to make, and you can whip this together in practically no time.
Recipe Tips & Notes
Think of this recipe as more of a starter sauce that you can play with. Feel free to vary up the ratios to your own personal preference. For example, I like to include a bit more hot sauce when I make mine. I also switch up the hot sauce I’m using – sriracha one day, ghost pepper hot sauce the next time, or whatever else I’m in the mood for.
Try adding some of these other ingredients for a different version:
- Chipotles in Adobo – use a blender to blend the chipotles, or use chipotle sauce
- Spicy Chili Powder – a dash or two could bring the extra zing you’re looking for
- Green Yogurt – I use Mexican crema for mine, but a creamy yogurt or even sour cream works for this recipe as well
- Cumin – a quarter teaspoon will go a long way
That’s it, my friends! I hope you enjoy the recipe. Time to make some fish tacos!
Try it Out On Some of These Recipes
- Baja Fish Tacos
- Beer Battered Fish Tacos with Spicy Habanero Slaw
- Caribbean Coconut Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple-Mango Salsa
- Szechuan Salmon Tacos
- Salmon Tacos with Pomegranate Guacamole
- Blackened Shrimp
Also, Try Some of My Other Popular Sauce Recipes
- Chipotle Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Jacked Up Fry Sauce
- Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Spicy Mustard Aioli
- Aji Amarillo Sauce
- Creamy Sriracha Mayo
- Cajun Remoulade Sauce
- Bang Bang Sauce
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Creamy Fish Taco Sauce Recipe
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup Mexican crema or use sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice about ½ a small lime
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce sriracha is great here
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1-2 fresh cloves, minced
- Pinch of salt
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Chill slightly, and enjoy.