This creamy horseradish sauce recipe is easy to make and big on flavor with sour cream, horseradish, mustard and vinegar, perfect for steak or sandwiches!
Horseradish Sauce for Prime Rib and More!
We're making Creamy Horseradish Sauce in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen today, my friends, and you're going to love this one. You may have had a creamy horseradish sauce at a restaurant in the past, but did you know it is super easy to make at home?
And with very few ingredients! A quick and easy horseradish cream sauce has loads of bold and zingy flavor. It's the perfect sauce for prime rib, ideal for spooning over steaks and beef roasts, pretty much any cut of beef you can thing of. It is so much better than store bought sauce.
It is made with a base of creamy sour cream or crema, lots of horseradish and a few other simple ingredients you'll most likely have on hand in your pantry or fridge.
The great thing about it is how easy it is to customize to make it your own with extra heat, extra zing factor and overall personalized flavor. I love horseradish for this reason. It's perfect for the spicy food lover.
Let's talk about how to make horseradish sauce, shall we?
Horseradish Sauce Ingredients
- Crema or Sour Cream. I love Mexican crema for this recipe, but sour cream is just as creamy and delicious.
- Horseradish. I use prepared horseradish, though you can use grated horseradish or finely chopped fresh horseradish root.
- Mustard. Use either spicy brown mustard for a zippier sauce, or Dijon mustard for milder that's still big on flavor.
- Vinegar. White wine vinegar is great here, though you can use others, like apple cider vinegar.
- Seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste is great, though add in a pinch of cayenne if you'd like.
How to Make Horseradish Sauce - the Recipe Method
Get Whisking. Whisk together the crema or sour cream, horseradish, mustard, vinegar and salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl. You can also use a food processor.
Taste and Adjust. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Serve it Up! Serve as desired.
Boom! Done! Your easy horseradish sauce is ready to serve with prime rib, beef or steak dishes of any kind. Choose your favorite! Such a great sauce. So huge on flavor. And easy to adjust! I love horseradish, especially in a great creamy horseradish sauce.
Homemade horseradish sauce is so much better than anything you'll get from the grocery store. Once you know how to make it on your own, you'll never want it any other way. So easy, isn't it? And very easy to customize, which I love.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Other Ingredients. Add other ingredients to make this your own. Try it with mayonnaise, lemon juice, heavy cream, cayenne pepper for some extra heat, chopped chives or other chopped herbs.
- The Zing Factor. You'll get plenty of zing from the horseradish and a bit from the spicy mustard. You can easily add in more horseradish for a more powerful sauce. Try adding in your favorite hot sauce to bring up the heat factor. Cayenne pepper is also a nice spicy touch, or you can use your own favorite hot chili powder, or use your favorite spicy blend.
- The Horseradish. I have made this recipe with both fresh horseradish root and prepared horseradish and love it either way. You'll get more pronounced flavor overall with fresh horseradish, but it takes longer for the flavor and zing factor to develop. Just keep it covered in the refrigerator a day or so. If you're looking for a quicker sauce, prepared horseradish is the way to go.
- Serving Suggestions. I love serving a 1/4 cup horseradish cream sauce or so with a nicely seared steak or with a spicy roast beef sandwich or steak sandwich, or prime rib, of course! It's bold flavor pairs it perfectly with steak or roast beef of any kind, like beef tenderloin. Try it with this Prime Rib Roast Recipe or this awesome Prime Rib Sandwich. Or try it on a baked potato or other root vegetables. So good!
That's it, my friends. I hope you enjoy your new favorite creamy horseradish sauce recipe. Let me know if you make it and your favorite ways to serve it. Keep it zingy!
Leftover horseradish sauce will last for 2 weeks or longer in a sealed container in the refrigerator. You can easily make horseradish cream sauce ahead of time.
I do not recommend freezing it, as it can lose texture.
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Creamy Horseradish Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup crema or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish or use grated fresh horseradish
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard or use Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the crema or sour cream, horseradish, mustard, vinegar and salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Serve as desired.
NOTE: This recipe was updated on 10/8/21 to include new information and video. It was originally published on 11/18/20.