Chipotle Chili Peppers
2,500 - 8,000 Scovilles.
Chipotle Peppers are smoked, dried jalapenos. As jalapeno pepper age, then turn red on the vine and begin to dry. These red jalapeno peppers are plucked and smoked for days until dried, turning them into chipotle peppers.
It takes about 10 pounds of jalapeno peppers to make 1 pound of chipotle peppers.
Quick Chipotle Pepper Facts:
- Chipotle peppers are smoked, dried jalapeno peppers
that have turned red
- Chipotle peppers are dried red jalapenos
- Not all chipotle peppers are alike
since there are so many varieties of jalapeno peppers
- Chipotle peppers are just about as hot as a jalapeno pepper
- 5,000 to 8,000 Scoville units, medium heat
- You can purchase chipotle peppers in whole pods, ground, in adobo, or other ways, but the first three ways are most popular
Preserving Chili Peppers